The Before and After forum is organised by Stacy Fischer, it is a place where amateurs as well as seasoned photographers explain the wow and how about their photo and editing decision.You can read more here about how to take part.
This week for the before and after forum I am editing one of my recent macro shots where I will be using both Photoshop and Lightroom.
With a macro shot in my opinion you don’t need to be heavily edited because if you have missed the shot you have missed the shot.
There are some misses with this image, the focus is good on the body and on the head but because of the angle some of the legs are out of focus, as well as one of the antennas. I took this shot using my 50mm lens with 32mm extension tubes at f/16 1/125 250ISO.
First thing I usually do is start in Lightroom and do nothing. I export the image to Photoshop where I apply Shake Reduction (Filter-Sharpen-Shake Reduction).
This filter will not sharpen areas that are blurred but where an edge is fuzzy, it will create contrast to make it seem sharper.
While I was here with this image I fixed the hole in the petal as it was distracting.
Back in Lightroom I made some global adjustments to the image, it seems darker but the colours are looking better.
I then sharped the image and applied some noise reduction.
I love the greens and I wanted these tones to pop in. Generally when editing any shot I will apply saturation adjustments selectively in the HSL panel esp. to prominent colours.
I need to clean my lens and sensor as there were a lot of spots as well as some random marks. I cleaned the images using the heal tool and clicking visualize spots at the bottom (so I can see unwanted marks easier), I always have feather and opacity set to 100%
In my global adjustments I made the cricket quite dark. To brighten him up I used the adjustment brush raising the shadows and upping the exposure slightly. I zoomed in to apply the brush.
As I was applying my local adjustments I noticed a lot of Chromatic Aberration, I went down to lens correction and fixed this.
I really like this image; it took about 15mins of shooting to get the little cricket in focus and sharp. Although it isn’t 100% in focus, I would only get this by bumping up the aperture to extend the depth of field which would mean a higher ISO. Even so the colours are crisp with the pastel tones of the flower contrasting with the rest of the scene and the saturation of the greens.
Please let me know in the comments what you think of the image or any questions you might have.
Also remember to head over to Stacy’s post to see the other contributions to the forum.
Remember if you liked this post to; like, share and subscribe.
If you wish to get notifications when I post on my blog, you can follow me on Twitter@apertureF64, on Facebook.com/aperturesixtyfour or alternatively be emailed by subscribing below. All images are the Copyright of Benjamin Rowe , ALL RIGHTS Reserved unless credited to another photographer. For more information please read my Copyright Statement