The Before and After forum is organised by Stacy Fischer, it is a place where amateurs as well as seasoned photographers explain the wow and how about their photo and editing decision.You can read more here about how to take part.
When on holiday and in tourist mode, there are always pictures that are a must have. Fulfilling this can be hard especially if you are in a touristy place (which you most likely are), have limited time and part of a tour group. When I recently visited Prague all of those boxes were ticked and getting some of those must have shots was hard.
One of the must have shots was of the Astronomical Clock, it was even on the list of shots my wife really wanted. When we got there the tour guide stopped a distance from the clock, it was also midday and area was full of people. When the tour moved on I had a few seconds to get the shot before I lost the tour group. I didn’t really chimp after taking the shots, although once in Lightroom I was disappointed. The picture was not straight the perspective shift was off and the colours looked really dull.
The great thing about digital photography is that I could adjust the perspective, to try and straighten up the image. I did as good a job as I think I could do and then applied my normal Lightroom adjustments to try and get the image popping. I couldn’t crop out the white areas because it would mean cropping part of the clock. I came to the realisation I would need to fill this area and rebuild the walls.
In Photoshop I did select the whole white area and tried to use content aware fill, but it didn’t work and just added random bits of the clock to the white area. I decided to start at the bottom of the image as it was the easiest to tackle. I used a rectangular marque and selected the bricks from the lower part of the image and pasted them on a new layer and blended it all together with masks and a bit of cloning.
The right side of the image needed a different approach and I use content aware fill and blended it all together with the clone tool.
The method for the left side was similar to the right with the content aware fill and the clone tool as well.
The walls were now built but the colours looked drab, instead of opening the picture back in Lightroom, I used Niksoft Color Efex with my layers now in a smart object.
In Color Efex I used-
Dark contrast; to enhance the details and textures throughout the image to create a bit more drama.
Detail Extractor; to bring out detail in the clock face
Pro Contrast; enhance the contrast while correcting colour casts.
At last I had the colours I wanted all I needed now was a bit more sharpness.
Although I am not really happy with the perceptive, it is the best I could get and I was able to rescue the image with a bit of work, which I am really happy with. Compared to last week’s post this was a lot more work, but if I had got it right in the camera the first time then I wouldn’t have used all those steps.
Remember if you liked this post to; like, share and subscribe.
If you wish to get notifications when I post on my blog, you can follow me on Twitter@apertureF64, on Facebook.com/aperturesixtyfour or alternatively be emailed by subscribing below. All images are the Copyright of Benjamin Rowe , ALL RIGHTS Reserved unless credited to another photographer. For more information please read my Copyright Statement