The After and Before forum is organised by Stacy Fischer, it is a place where amateurs as well as seasoned photographers explain the wow and how about their photo and editing decision.You can read more here about how to take part.
Between classes this week I took a short cut through the park with the sun quickly setting. Noticing the fantastic light and since it was a short cut; I decided to take some quick shots on the way. I notice that many of the trees, although it being winter had buds poking out and tightly wrapped. I really liked the pin points of light of the setting sun coming through the trees and the buds seemed like little towers.
When taking the picture I had to think about the exposure and composition. Exposure was tricky, meter for the background and the bud will be a silhouette, meter for the bud and the background will be washed out. I decided to do both, I metered for the sun and then for the bud to work out the difference in exposure and used the flash pop up flash to fill in. I usually don’t like to use the pop up flash favoring my speedlite instead. I took a few shots, then adjusted the power of the flash.
In editing I first cropped the picture to remove the bottom part of the image which I found distracting.
I added some colour adjustments using my Porta esq curves; individual curves for Red, Green, Blue and light.
I did some housekeeping; adjusting the white balance, setting the camera profile, applying capture sharpening and noise reduction.
I next approached the strength of the colours. I first raised the overall saturation and then adjusted the colours individually.
After making a lot of colour adjustments I tweaked the basic adjustments (I wrote as part of my Digital Darkroom Series about these settings). First I reduced the exposure and set the white and black points, making the image darker and adding some more contrast. I reduced the contrast a little. I lowered the highlights and increased the shadows. I reduced the clarity to keep the midtone contrast in check.
I went back to the saturation and increased the vibrance and then reduced the saturation slightly.
I moved onto selective adjustments, using the brush and painted some clarity on to the bud to counter earlier global adjustments.
I added a radial adjustment setting in on the bud with settings reducing sharpness and clarity to add some softness in the background.
My final adjustment was to add two gradient adjustments; one at the top with a magenta tint and one at the bottom with a green tint, to add some separation between the fore and background.
I quite like the picture and I had so much fun editing and taking the picture.
I would really like to know what you think about the picture in the comment box below.
Remember if you liked this post to; like, share and subscribe.
If you wish to get notifications when I post on my blog, you can follow me on Twitter@apertureF64, on Facebook.com/aperturesixtyfour or alternatively be emailed by subscribing below. All images are the Copyright of Benjamin Rowe , ALL RIGHTS Reserved unless credited to another photographer. For more information please read my Copyright Statement